PORTFOLIO COMPANY – Strategy Advisory & Interim Executive Services Contributing to A 10x Return Exit
A PE firm retained us to prepare their portfolio company, an energy technology innovator that contributed to the shale revolution, with numerous challenges for exit via an IPO, trade or financial sale. The CEO of the Denmark-based company subsequently retained us to come in house to prepare the company for investor diligence.
We contributed to a 10x return exit within 16 months of arrival:
- Earned the trust and confidence of both the private equity firm partner and CEO, served as translator, and at times nudged one or the other toward compromise
- Refocused the business strategy, which involved evaluating 32 oil services sub-sectors for magnitude and timing of sensitivity to historic oil price cycles by geography around the world
- Brought the PE firm partner and CEO to consensus around the strategy despite their bitter relationship
- Developed the investment bank teaser, which centered around the strategy
- Drove the strategy into the business by aligning all functions, including global account management, financial reporting, the annual report, investor communications, marketing and collateral, trade shows, advertising, website, etc.
- Simultaneously created a sustainability strategy that revolved around water and local capacity building in developing countries
- For each senior executive, prepared investor talking points and answers to anticipated diligence questions
- Rehearsed every senior executive and conducted a full dress rehearsal prior to investment banker, legal, accounting, etc., kickoff
- Wrote the annual report, including all notes to the financial statements, as required by Danish authorities for non-public companies
- Wrote extensive draft S-1 verbiage on business, market, etc., for legal counsel.
PORTFOLIO COMPANY – Board Advisory
We advised the board of an alternative energy data provider in need of a turnaround:
- Built strong rapport with the CEO, which increased his receptivity to board input
- Advocated cash preservation ahead of an economic downturn when others favored continued international expansion
- Interviewed CEO candidates and provided observations that proved astute in hindsight, such as sensing the lead candidate's impatience with multiple points of view, and dismissive tone and body language.
PRIVATE EQUITY FIRM – Resident Strategy Advisory
Provided counsel to a multi-billion dollar mid-market private equity firm. Over the course of a year, we helped transactors:
- Focus limited bandwidth on the most promising deals in the pipeline
- Develop investment theses
- Streamline expensive diligence efforts
- Broaden quarterly portfolio review and board perspectives
- Sharpen investor messages and prepare portfolio companies for exit.
PRIVATE EQUITY FIRM - Commercial & Customer Diligence
We participated in numerous diligence efforts that helped transactors make more informed pre and post LOI investment, and sell-side, decisions.